Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Nurses Day!


National Nurses Day, also known as National RN Recognition Day, is always celebrated on May 6th and opens National Nurses Week. National Nurses Week begins each year on May 6th and ends on May 12th, the birth date of Florence Nightingale. National Nurses Week is one of the nation's largest health care events, recognizing the contributions and commitments nurses make and educating the public about the significant work they perform.

Oh how different my life would of been had I not chosen nursing as my profession. I was 12 years old when I knew that is what I wanted to be and I pursued my career by starting as a volunteer at my home hospital at age 15 and then at age 16 I was given the opportunity to work as a nurse's aide and was trained by a feisty old red headed nurses aide! All of the staff were so good to me teaching me things that I would normally as a NA never be able to do. I was 16 when I saw my first delivery, took care of a burn victim in isolation, and took vital signs on patients coming back from surgery. When I think of it now, they did give me too much responsibility but I was too inexperienced to realize that at the time.

I have loved my 35 +years as a Registered Nurse and have so many memories. Those of you who know me well have heard over and over again my stories.

Happy Nurses Day to my fellow Nurses!

No comments: